Today we want to inspire you to invest in your fashion and love the pieces you might already own!
Last week we highlighted fashion brands who keep their production in the U.S, which is increasingly rare and difficult for designers to do.
This is because of the high demand for “fast fashion”; as consumers we want what’s new, right now, and for the right price (aka, for cheap).
As consumers ourselves, we decided to take some notes from “Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion“, where author Elizabeth Cline encourages us to make strategic and educated purchases instead of over-buying and over-consuming.
Some helpful pointers:
- Be educated on where your garments are coming from, how they’re made, and if every point of production is both ethical and of high quality.
- Don’t chase trends. Not every trend is right for you, and not every trend will be worthwhile. You are free to pick or pass!
- Buy what you need. Do you REALLY need that neon satchel? Or would a pair of jeans be more worthwhile?
- Invest in the right pieces. Buy pieces that will last longer than one season even if it costs a little more. If it was an investment, you’re more likely to cherish it and take care of it!
- Donate. When your clothes have fulfilled their life cycle in your closet, it doesn’t mean they can’t be beneficial to someone else.
Although we love fashion and offering you envy worthy content, we do want to encourage you to pick and choose what’s right for you and invest in pieces that you’ll love for a long time!
Here are 20 staple pieces that you either already have in your closet or will be worth your investment in the long haul.
- A LBD. It speaks for itself, the right Little Black Dress will take you a long ways.
- A Tailored Blazer. Find one that fits you perfectly in a Tweed or Wool blend; it keeps the shape better and helps from fraying or pilling.
- A Nude Heel. Opt for a lower heel (2-3″) with padding, it will not only go with everything but will be comfortable enough to actually wear all day.
- A Classic Bag. Invest in leather and invest in shape. This bag should be able to withstand anything you put in it or on it!
- A Simple Chain Bracelet. A great way to showcase your personal style while still remaining classic.
- Premium Denim Jeans. Find the pair that fits you like a glove and is flattering in all the right places, paying a higher price will be worth the 300+times you end of wearing it.
- A Simple Tank. You can layer it, you can wear it on its own, and you don’t have to think twice about it. Silk or Cotton will last longer than Polyester or Rayon.
- A Cardigan. The best lightweight layering piece. Easily dressed up or down.
- A Statement Necklace. Jewelry is meant to last a long time, find the right necklace that won’t break the second time you wear it!
- A Statement Shoe. Cheetah print is always a safe way to go because it matches everything.
- A Button Down Blouse. Tuck it in, tie it, wear it over jeans, once you find the right one you’ll want to wear it all the time.
- A Pencil Skirt. You can choose a print or solid color, but find one that is fitted but not too tight so you can wear it in different settings.
- Signature Sunglasses. Search for the right pair for your face that you’ll actually want to store in its case!
- A Pair of Flats. Flats are not always comfortable, so invest in a pair that won’t give you blisters every time you wear them. Cap-toe is a classic twist on a solid flat.
- Dainty Earrings. Find a pair that you won’t even realize your wearing. Sterling Silver or Gold won’t infect or bother your ears like copper or plain metal does.
- A Summer Dress. The dress that you could literally live in and rarely want to change out of. Try for 100% Cotton, it will breath better and last longer.
- A Denim Jacket. This jacket will never go out of style, you probably have one hidden in your closet too.
- A Light Scarf. Silk or Cotton, this scarf can be worn around your neck, your head, or around your bag.
- Statement Cocktail Ring. A ring that you can put on an instantly feel glamorous.
- Everyday Shoes. For me, that’s booties. For you, it could be a pair of nice sandals. Either way, this shoe should hold up for a long time.